Healer, Schmealer

I’ve been participating in a few FB discussions about the use of the word “healer,” and I must say, I could just barf when someone introduces themselves to me as a healer.  That being said, I am acquainted with some folks that I do think of as healers, but they don’t call themselves that.  When someone tells me they’re a healer, depending on what kind of smart-alecky mood I’m in, I either ignore it, or I might say “So was Jesus, and he didn’t make any announcements about it, he just did the work.”

If you think of yourself as some big healer, it’s almost a certainty that you’re not one. When people get caught up in their own hype, it starts to be all about them, and it ceases to have anything to do with the client. While the “healer” is focusing on their magical abilities, the client is lying there on the table, to borrow a few words from Nina McIntosh, wondering why the room feels stuffy, why they didn’t get a bolster for their knees, and why you can’t remember their name.

I’ve never healed anyone. I might facilitate healing for someone by calling into their consciousness that they need to drink more water, stretch, change a postural habit, get more massage or whatever. I can’t imagine being so full of myself that I would tell anyone I’m a healer.

If we chance to meet, do me a favor and don’t tell me you’re a healer.  It will cause me to choke and you might have to heal me right there on the spot.

12 comments for “Healer, Schmealer

1. October 14, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Hi, great blog! I’ve used this technique a number of times already and i’ve had great results. All dentists should take note of this. Fast with a good end result, what more could you want? Thanks.

2. callista
    July 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I agree that the term healer is antiquated. Most people who do body work or energy work know that the body heals itself and we are only helping the process. Real healing is a two person job, the most important person being the client. If the client doesn’t have the faith and willingness to heal themselves you could spend hours doing nothing.

3. July 16, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Well said!

4. July 7, 2010 at 3:36 AM

You’ve offended dog  walkers across the nation!

5. July 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

maybe they  just meant “heel”

6. Jenn Sommermann
    July 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Thanks Laura.  I laughed out loud!

7. July 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Well said, Laura, and with humor too!

8. July 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM

LOL!  Healers, heal thyself!!!

9. July 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I have always been challenged when someone introduces themselves as a healer, it reminds me of the masseuse reference (please update the terminology to reflect the profession that we represent).  I agree with the article because when a person labels themselves as such its all about the ego and there is no room for the work to do its “magic”.

10. Brian
    July 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

No kidding, thank you for that. You have just reminded me of the ‘new age’ massage time period about 20 years ago when that egotism was so prevalent. Happy to see a lot of that has healed itself out of the field.

11. July 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM

My reaction too. But studies of placebo treatments are pretty clear that the more confidence practitioners have in their therapies, the better patients respond to them. In other words, the more grandiose and arrogant, the better. These are not insignificant or illusory results, either: we’re talking about serious recovery and remission from pain. What the hell to do with that, I don’t know. I’m no more willing to introduce myself as “a healer” than I am to go out to dinner in my underwear.

12. July 1, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Ah yes, the humble healer oxymoron.  I ditto Laura.